Cookies & Privacy
CarMoney Ltd – Privacy Notice
As a customer of CarMoney Ltd we may in certain circumstances collect and process your personal data in the course of our business with you. Under the General Data Protection Regulation EU 2016 / 679 (GDPR) you are entitled to be informed of what data we will hold and how we intend to use that data. This Privacy Statement informs you of what data we collect, why we collect it and the lawful conditions we consider appropriate for the processing of your personal data.
What data do we collect?
‘personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person, most common data being name, address, email, telephone number or IP address.
We may collect, store and process the following types of personal data relating to you through our website, online enquiry forms, or by telephone or email.
1. Information that you provide to us if enquiring about purchasing goods or services from us, including name, address, telephone number, email address and IP address.
2. Information that you provide to us in order to arrange finance for you including date of birth, finance details, photographic proof of identity, and proof of income.
3. Information that we are legally bound to provide to 3rd parties including driving licence details and / or other photographic ID
Why we need this information
Personal data we collect from you will be used for the purposes it was provided, including the following:
1. In order for you to form a legally binding contract with us.
2. In order that we can propose and secure finance for you to purchase a vehicle.
3. In order for us to verify your identity.
4. To carry out a credit search to secure the most suitable finance deal.
5. To send you marketing information only with your express written consent.
Ourselves and our lenders will carry out searches with credit reference agencies to assess your suitability and financial situation. In some instances these searches will be visible to other parties including other brokers and lenders. For more information on credit reference agencies and what they do please see below.
Credit Reference Agencies
In order to process your application we will supply your personal information to credit reference
agencies (CRAs) and they will give us information about you, such as about your financial history. We
do this to assess creditworthiness and product suitability, check your identity, manage your account,
trace and recover debts and prevent criminal activity.
We will also continue to exchange information about you with CRAs on an ongoing basis, including
about your settled accounts and any debts not fully repaid on time. CRAs will share your information
with other organisations. Your data will also be linked to the data of your spouse, any joint applicants
or other financial associates.
The identities of the CRAs, and the ways in which they use and share personal information, are
explained in more detail at
Sharing Personal Data
There may be instances where we share your personal data with 3rd party organisations where it would be reasonable to do so, these include
1. Finance companies where you have entered into a Finance Agreement.
2. Insurance companies where you have purchased Guaranteed Asset Protection.
However, we would not share your personal data with other organisations for marketing purposes unless we have your express written consent to do so.
A list of our Finance Partners and Insurance Partners can be found here.
There may be circumstances when we are legally obliged to share your personal data e.g.
1. To the extent that we are legally obliged to do so by law.
2. In connection with any ongoing or prospective legal proceedings.
3. In order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights (including providing information to others for the purposes of fraud prevention and reducing credit risk)
4. To any person who we reasonably believe may apply to a court or other competent authority for disclosure of that personal information, where in our reasonable opinion, such court or authority would be reasonable likely to order disclosure of that personal information.
Security of personal data
We will take all reasonable technical and organisational precautions to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information. The CarMoney Ltd website uses a security system that protects your information from unauthorised use.
As a result of CarMoney Ltd processing your personal data you have a number of individual rights:
1. You may instruct us to provide you with any personal information we hold about you, via a Subject Access Request – Upon receipt of such a request, we will, after confirming identity provide all relevant data we may hold to you, in the most practical format and as soon as possible. We may withhold personal information that you request to the extent permitted by law.
2. You may instruct us to correct any inaccuracies in that personal data which we will do as quickly as possible.
3. You may instruct us to no longer process your personal data for marketing or any other purposes, which we will do as quickly as possible.
4. You may instruct us to destroy some/all of your personal data which we will do as quickly as possible. (The Right to be Forgotten)
5. You may in certain circumstances request that your data is transferred to another service provider. (The right to Data Portability)
The CarMoney Ltd website uses "cookies" to help improve your online experience.
A cookie is a text file that is placed on your hard disk by our web page server. Cookies cannot be used to run programs or deliver viruses to your computer and are safe.
Cookies are uniquely assigned to you, and can only be read by a web server in the CarMoney domain that issued the cookie to you.
None of the cookies on our web site collect or store personal data, we only store standard internet log data for our internal reporting purposes. We do this to find out things such as the number of visitors to the various parts of the CarMoney Ltd website. We collect this information in a way which does not identify anyone, keeping your privacy as well as allowing us to improve the web site wherever possible.
The CarMoney website does collect some personal / identifiable information as part of the application process but this is always done through asking you the user to enter details. We will never capture personal information without making you aware first.
You still have the ability to accept or decline cookies. Most Web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. If you choose to decline cookies, you may not be able to fully experience the interactive features of the CarMoney services or web site.
To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org/ Alternatively, you can search the internet for other independent information on cookies.
Our partners privacy policies
Blue motor finance
Startline motor finance
We are registered as a data controller with the Information Commissioners Office and our Registration Number is as follows
CarMoney Ltd - ZA197193
Data Protection Officer
Our Data Protection Officer is Stewart Whyte Head of Compliance. Should you have any concerns or questions about how we process and store your personal data please direct them to
If you are dissatisfied with any aspect of our handling of your personal data, you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office via the following:
Telephone 0303 123 1113